Admitted Student Visits
Receiving your letter or email of admission is a time for celebration! What’s your next step? Many colleges will be inviting you to visit the campus as an admitted student.
These visits can be:
- A designated day event on campus
- A designated weekend or overnight event on campus
- A designated window of time in which to visit
- A scholarship competition
- An orientation
We have tips for making the most of these visits.
Preparing for the visit
- Review your priorities for a good college fit. As discussed before, fit includes 4 components; academic, social, emotional and physical.
- Brush up on the details. Refresh your knowledge about the school’s size, academic options, and other details that interest you. Your visit will be more meaningful if you have the basics down.
- Explore advising options for your major. When do you start advising?
- Review housing options. Where would you live?
- Explore activities offered. What appeals to you?
Prepare a list of questions to ask during your admitted student visit. Plan a visit when the college is in session. You need to see the college from the perspective of a student. As a part of the visit, see if you can make the following appointments:
- Academic Advising. If possible, meet with an academic advisor in your area of study. Learn more about the courses and professors in your selected field of study.
- Tour housing/dorm options. Where will you live as a freshman?
- Meet with a financial aid advisor. What is your financial aid package? Do your parents have questions that need answered?
As you visit the campus, ask yourself these questions:
- Would I fit in academically here?
- Would I fit in socially here?
- Do I feel comfortable with the physical location?
After Your Visit
- Send a thank you for the visit.
- Record your thoughts as soon as possible.
Make plans now to visit colleges before May 1. Use 3-day weekends, breaks, or anytime you have available to visit the colleges to which you have been admitted.
Questions? Let’s chat!
Weil College Advising, LLC